While more men than ever are managing their health by getting regular screenings and practicing preventive medicine, there are still countless men who are affected by health conditions that go unnoticed until they have caused serious damage. The medical team at La Peer’s Colonoscopy Center of Excellence advocates awareness and wants to motivate men to become more pro-active about their health and schedule screenings like colonoscopies for colon cancer.
How Do You Rate?
Taking care of your health is just as important for both men and women. However, according to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, men have some catching up to do with women regarding their health:
- Men are 24 percent less likely than women to have seen a doctor since last year.
- Men are 22 percent more likely to have neglected their cholesterol tests.
- Men are 28 percent more likely to be hospitalized for congestive heart failure.
- Men are 24 percent more likely to be hospitalized for pneumonia, preventable through immunization.
Once men begin applying some sensible strategies into their lives, these statistics will improve. There are actions men can take today to take control of their own health for themselves as well as for the women and children in their lives.
How to Stay at Your Best
La Peer doctors recommend the following:
- Schedule regular screenings like colonoscopies and annual check-ups.
- See your doctor immediately if you have symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest pains, excessive thirst, and problems with urination.
- Monitor test results for blood pressure, blood glucose, and cholesterol and understand what they mean.
- Get 2½ hours of moderate-intensity aerobic activity and muscle strengthening activities during the week.
- Sleep 7-9 hours nightly to help prevent chronic diseases and conditions, such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity, and depression.
These simple steps don’t take a lot of time, but they comprise some of the most important preventive measures essential to maintaining good health.
Contact the Colonoscopy Center of Excellence
Begin your health improvement plan with a check up and diagnostic screening. The physicians at the Colonoscopy Center of Excellence advocate patient education and care through preventive measures including colonoscopies. Call us today at 888.837.0459 to schedule a consultation at the Colonoscopy Center of Excellence with one of our world-renowned surgeons.